eBay needs no presentation. It is the most celebrated closeout webpage on the planet however – numerous individuals ask – does despite everything it speaks to the best for the individuals who need to profit from online trade? Are the advertisement administrations, which do exclude deals commissions, increasingly advantageous?
Shockingly, there is no “dry” response to this inquiry. There are such a large number of, too much, the factors in question to exchange the issue with a “yes” or a “no”.
The smartest thing you can do is take some extra time, study top to bottom every one of the administrations offered by eBay and assess, in view of the attributes of your business, regardless of whether the game merits the flame.
What do you say we attempt to do this work together? Possibly I can give you a hand.
Beneath you will discover the rundown of all the selling strategies accessible on eBay, the posting costs and the commissions that must be paid on fruitful advertisements (ie on deals made).
Also, we will see together which are the strategies that enable you to profit with eBay in an easier manner: along these lines, on the off chance that you choose to buy into the site, you can begin immediately on the correct foot. Good karma!
What do you need to get started on eBay?
Selling on eBay is very easy, but before starting to do so, you need to study the mechanics of the site: what are the requirements to open an account on eBay?
Should you start with a personal account or is it better to activate a business profile right away? We try to give an answer to all these questions, starting with the requirements necessary to register for the service.
- eBay account – I know, it is obvious, but it must be reiterated. To use eBay you need to register on the site and choose whether to open a personal or business account. In the next chapter of the tutorial, you will find the main differences between these two types of accounts and a brief explanation of the cases in which it is convenient to open one or the other.
- PayPal account – although eBay allows you to use various payment methods, including bank transfer, postal transfer, cash on delivery and bank check, it is highly recommended to create a PayPal account online before registering on the site. PayPal is an online payment system that allows you to send and receive money over the Internet without disclosing to your credit card or bank account details. Most users prefer this type of payment.
- VAT number – if you create a business account on eBay and are willing to use it to set up a real business, then to sell merchandise on a frequent basis, you must open a VAT number and pay regular taxes. If you communicate your VAT number to eBay, you will receive invoices for the payment of service charges net of tax.
Which type of eBay account do you choose?
Now we come to the questions related to eBay registration: which type of account should you choose? What are the differences between the personal account and the business account?
In which cases should you choose the first and in which cases should you opt for the second? Let’s try to clarify our ideas together.
1) Personal account – is the standard, free account that can create any private user. It is used to sell personal items that are no longer needed and to purchase items for personal use (therefore not purchased for resale).
- How to open it – to open a personal account on eBay, all you have to do is connect to the home page of the site, click on the registered item at the top left and fill out the form that is proposed to you with all your personal data. Once completed, remember to associate your PayPal account with the account by going to the My eBay> Site Account section.
- Tariffs – holders of a personal account on eBay can publish up to 50 listings per month free of charge, after which they cost 35 cents each. There is also a 10% commission on the sale price of all items sold through eBay (up to a maximum of 75 euros), to which must be added the commissions of payments received through PayPal (up to 3.4% of the sum received + 35 cents in the euro area). More info here.
2) Business account – eBay business accounts are intended for those who have a high and regular turnover, sale items purchased expressly for this purpose and/or self-made and purchase goods for their own business.
They can also be registered to a company and their opening is free.
- How to open it – to open a business account on eBay, connected to the home page of the site and click first on the registered item you find on the top left and then on the word open a professional account. So fill out the form that is proposed to you with all your personal data plus those of your company and you’re done. If you want, you can also switch from a personal account to a business account by going to the My eBay> Account> Personal Information section of the site and clicking on the Edit item located next to the account Account type heading.
- Rates – the holders of a business account on eBay can publish their ads for the price of 30 cents each, the commissions on the items sold vary from 4.3 to 8.7% of the final sale price based on the type of marketed object. Only objects that fall into the “Wines, Coffee and Gastronomy” category do not include the payment of commissions. More info here.
Open an eBay store
In order to make a satisfying deal with eBay, you may need to open your own store within the site. What is it about? eBay stores are digital showcases where customers can find more information about sellers and their products.
To open one, you must register at eBay with a personal account or a business account (as we have seen before) and you must subscribe to a monthly paid subscription.
This subscription also gives access to a wide range of extra services, such as the Sales Manager Plus that offers a complete overview of their online sales activities and allows them to be managed better; the promotions manager to organize marketing activities and the sales analysis tool Plus to analyze the advertisements in detail and optimize their content.
There are three types of eBay stores.
- Basic shop – costs 17.35 euros/month and can be opened by both personal and business users. It includes 200 “buy it now” 30 days free ads on a monthly basis (which are then paid 13 cents), 200 free newsletters per month to send to customers, Turbo Lister services, Sales Manager, Sales Manager Plus, Sales Analysis, and Sales Analysis Plus.
- Premium shop – costs € 33.91 / month and only a business account holder can open it. It allows you to add free advertisements on eBay, Italian, Spanish, French, Belgian and Dutch versions, to send up to 5000 newsletters a month to customers and includes the Promotions Manager service in addition to those already present in the basic stores. You can try it for free for 90 days.
- Premium Plus – costs $ 349.95 / month and can only be opened via an eBay business account. It offers all the benefits of the Premium Store as well as the possibility of including free ads on all international versions of eBay. It also allows you to post 2,500 ads per month on eBay.com and eBay.ca. Learn more here.
The commissions on the items sold range from 4.3 to 8.7% of the final sale price, based on the type of item sold.
How to sell on eBay
To put an item for sale on eBay just connect to the home page of the site, click on the item sell (top) and follow the wizard to create the listing.
But how do you create an effective ad that captures the attention of the public and thus increases the chances of selling? Here are some tips you might find useful.
- Detailed and sincere descriptions – buyers always reward exhaustive and “honest” advertisements. This means that you must thoroughly describe the goods you sell by inserting the technical data sheet (in the case of technological devices), describing the contents of the package, etc. Furthermore, you must be clear about any defects presented by the objects (eg a scratch on the body of a cell phone).
- Look out for ads with lots of photos – even the eye wants its part, so try to create ads with professional graphics, well laid out and without spelling or distraction errors. To facilitate the task you can turn to online services like CrazyLister or to applications like TurboLister (Windows) and GarageSale (Mac) that allow you to easily create ads for eBay starting from ready-to-use graphic themes. Also, and eBay charges 15 cents for each additional photo in the listings, enrich your ads with at least 4 or 5 images. The photos must all be different, show different parts of the object for sale in detail and be professional (so no blurred or wavy shots, please).
- Establish your price by looking around you – before selling an item on eBay, click on the advanced item on the top right of the site, and perform an advanced search to find out the other sellers who apply prices for the same type of goods. You must be competitive to succeed and make money with eBay. It also evaluates the hypothesis of offering free shipping costs for the items, this attracts the buyers a lot and helps to bring out the announcement in searches on eBay.
- Auction or “Buy it now”? – as you will surely know, eBay allows you to create online auctions in which the object is awarded the one who offers the highest figure at the end of the advertisement (which can be 1, 3, 5, 7 or 10 days) and insertions with the “Buy it now” button in which, to bring the item home, you pay directly the amount chosen by the seller (in this case, the insertion time can be up to 30 days). Choose carefully which formula to use depending on the items you are selling. If, for example, you’ve decided to sell a very rare comic book collection, try the auction route, it could yield a good profit. If, on the other hand, you sell items that have no appeal for collectors, they are not uncommon. prefer the “Buy it now” formula by setting a convenient price for buyers. You can also create auctions with the “Buy it now” option to conclude the deal at a figure you agreed at the start.
The importance of feedback
Feedback is one of eBay’s key features. These are the comments that sellers and buyers leave each other to explain to the rest of the community how a deal went.
Having a high number of positive feedbacks means having a high-reliability rate and therefore a greater potential to attract new customers.
And how do you get positive feedback? Of course, behaving well.
Always check emails and respond promptly to all the questions you are asked by eBay users, send your items as soon as you receive payments, create sturdy packages to prevent the goods from arriving at their destination in bad condition and, of course, leave always feedback to buyers of your products.
Become a PowerSeller
Are you a business-like eBay user? Then one of your goals must surely be to become a PowerSeller.
The eBay PowerSellers are sellers who, having been active for at least 90 days in a row, have achieved high sales volumes and maintained a positive feedback score of 98%.
Being able to count on the PowerSeller brand means increasing customer confidence (and therefore sales volumes) and taking advantage of various advantages, such as priority assistance via email, access to the forum dedicated to PowerSellers and invitations to eBay events.
Make money with the eBay partnership
Among the services offered by eBay, there is also an affiliate program that allows you to earn money through sponsored links that refer to the purchase of items on the famous auction site.
If, after joining this program, a user will purchase an item on eBay from one of your sponsored links, it will pay you a small percentage on eBay’s revenue. More info here.