Guinea's President Alpha Conde has announced that a new "trade union" government will be formed within weeks.

Guinea: Colonel Mamadi Dombwea told ministers who had served in Mr. Conde's Government that there would be no witch hunt against former officials.

President Conde remains in detention, but his fate is unclear.

The United Nations, the African Union, and the REGIONAL BODY OF ECOWAS condemned the coup and called for a return to civilian rule.

"I strongly condemn any forcible takeover of the Government and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Conde."

Colonel Dombuya, who heads the army's special forces unit, did not say on Monday when the new government would be put in place.

"Consultations will be initiated to determine the broad criteria for the transition, so a national unity government will be formed to guide the transition process," he said in his statement.


He told former ministers that they could not leave the country and had to hand over their official cars to the army. It was also announced that the land and air borders had been reopened.

After the meeting, Colonel Dombweya toured the capital Conakry, which has been tense since Sunday, when heavy gunfire exchanged near the presidential building for several hours.

The BBC's correspondent in the city says the crowds chanted on behalf of the military commander.

"They were just happy. Some people took off their clothes and chanted "Dombuya, Dombuya, Dombuya" and "Freedom, Freedom, Freedom," Hassan Sylla said.

That reflected the feeling of many who were satisfied with the removal of President Conde.

Colonel Dombuya also urged mining companies to continue their operations in the country, adding that they would be exempted from the current nationwide curfew.

Guinea is one of the largest bauxite suppliers in the world, a necessary element of aluminum. Following the coup, aluminum prices rose to their highest levels in more than a decade due to supply concerns.

How did the coup happen in Guinea?

In a state-televised broadcast Sunday night, a group of soldiers said the region's governors had been replaced by military leaders and the 83-year-old ousted president was safe but in custody.

Colonel Dombweya said his soldiers had seized power because they wanted to end widespread corruption, human rights violations, and mismanagement.

President Conde was re-elected to a controversial third term amid violent protests last year.

The veteran opposition leader was first elected in 2010 in the country's first democratic transition of power. Despite overseeing some economic progress, he has since been accused of presiding over numerous human rights violations and harassing his critics.

Mamodo Nagnalin Barry, founding member of the opposition National Front for the Defence of the Constitution, told the BBC that he had mixed feelings about the coup, but most welcomed it.

"I will say I am unfortunately happy with what happened," he said.

"We don't want to be happy with the coup, but in certain circumstances like [those] in Guinea now, we will say that we are really happy with what is happening because, without it, the country will remain stuck in an endless force for one person who wants to stay in power forever."

Mr. Barry added that he hoped the soldiers would restore power to civilians.

The Guinean coup is the fourth time west Africa has seen an attempt to undermine democracy in the region since August 2020. A military takeover took place in Mali and a failed attempt in Niger.

Guinea coup: Army detains President Conde, dissolves constitution

YOUR REACTION?